Cattolica, Province of Rimini, Emilia‑Romagna
A fine center of the Adriatic Riviera, situated south of the province, on the left bank of the Tavollo river which separates it from another beautiful beach resort, Gabicce Mare in the province of Pesaro-Urbino.
With a beach over 300 ft wide, sloping gently into very shallow waters, Cattolica can be reached by road through the Autostrada del Mare A14, or by plane from the Miramare airport in Rimini, or through the tourist harbor, and offers a wealth of events to entertain the large tourist population that in the summer find a perfect vacation in the many hotels and rental houses of the area.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Emilia-Romagna
- Altitude: 11 m a.s.l
- Population: about 16,900 inhabitants in 2010
- Zip/postal code: 47841
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0541
- Patron Saint: St. Pio V, celebrated on 30th April
- Demonym: cattolichini or catulghini.
Cattolica dates back to Roman times, when, situated on the Via Flaminia, was a resting place with taverns, which later became famous inns and nurtured the tradition of hospitality which is a special feature of the modern tourist resort.
What to see
- The musical Mermaids Fountain in Piazza I Maggio, where from 10 pm the fountain waters moving to the rhythm of the music and coloured lights.
- Theme park Le Navi, established in an old marine complex of the 1830's, hosting aquariums with dolphins and sharks, and surrounded by huge green gardens along the sea.
- The interesting Museo della Regina, with an archeological and mariners' section.
Events and Festivities
- Cattolica in Fiore, a flower festival in late April - early May, with exhibitions of garden plants and flowers, garden furniture, terracotta pots, an event which usually inaugurates the tourist season.