Marzabotto, Province of Bologna, Emilia‑Romagna
Located 27 km (17 miles) southwest of Bologna in the valley of the Reno, in the autumn months of 1944, it was the site of the Marzabotto massacre, for which the town received the gold medal to military courage.
- Altitude: 130 m a.s.l
- Population: about 6800 inhabitants (in 2010)
- Zip/postal code: 40043
- Dialing Area Code: +39 051
- Patron Saint: St. Giuseppe and San Carlo, celebrated on 19 March
- Frazioni & Localities: Lama di Reno, Lama di Setta, Pian di Venola, Sibano, Sperticano, Sirano, Pioppe, Panico, Canovella, San Silvestro, Casaglia, Luminasio, Medelana, Quercia, Gardeletta, Allocco
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Emilia-Romagna
The area has been inhabited since very ancient time, when it was included in Etruria; on its territory there are the remains of an Etruscan town dating back to the sixth century BC, by some identified with the ancient Misa, although recent discoveries tend to give it the name Cainua or Kainua. The name of Marzabotto is recorded in 1551.
What to see
- near Villa Aria, the remains of an Etruscan Necropolis of the 5th century BC, protected on the west by the mountains, on the east and south by the river, which by a change of course has destroyed about half of it. The acropolis was just below the villa: here remains of temples were found.
The town lay below the modern high-road and was laid out on a rectangular plan divided by main streets into eight quarters, and these in turn into blocks or insulae. Cemeteries were found on the east and north of the site. The name of the place is unknown: it was partially inhabited later by the Gauls, but was not occupied by the Romans.
- The Museo Nazionale Etrusco "P. Aria"
- The Sacrario di Marzabotto, a cemetery and memorial for the 1840 victims from Marzabotto, Monzuno, Grizzana and Castel d'Aiano, many of them never identified - among the innocent civilians killed were 316 women, 142 elderly people, 216 children under 12 and many of a few months or days old - often whole families exterminated together.