Minori, Province of Salerno, Campania
Situated in the heart of the Amalfi Coast, the small town can be easily reached by train from Naples and Salerno, is connected by sea to the ports of Napoli, Salerno and Amalfi and is not far from the A3 highway Napoli-Salerno.
- Population: about 3,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 84010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 089
- Patron Saint: Santa Trofilmena, celebrated on 5 November
- Frazioni & Localities: Torre Paradiso, Villa Amena, Via Torre, Via Monte.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The huge remains of a Villa Romana of the 1st century AD, discovered in 1932 by a mason while doing restoration works on a building. The excavations, interrupted after the flood of 1954, were then taken up again, revealing a magnificent patrician mansion, probably visible from afar on the sea, not greatly different from Augustus' Palazzo a mare in Capri. The Villa is surrounded by a large courtyard covering over 2500 square meters, and was on two floors, of which only the ground floor is extant. The groundfloor led to the first floor through a ramp of 29 steps, still largely visible, with a scenographic enlargement at bottom. In the center there was a pool surrounded by arcades on three sides, while on the 4th side there was a richly decorated nympheum. An important element was also the spa system, whose amazing technical details were revealed in the excavations.