Casal Velino, Province of Salerno, Campania
- Altitude: 170 a.s.l
- Population: about 5200 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 84040, 84050
- Phone Area Code: 0974
- Demonym: casalvelinesi or casalicchiari
- Patron Saint: St. Biagio (St. Blaise), celebrated on 3 February
- Frazioni & Localities: Acquavella, Bivio di Acquavella, Marina di Casal Velino Marina, Vallo Scalo, Verduzio.
The small center developed a flourishing economy based on olives, white figs, and raising of goats, sheep and cattle. Casalicchio became a municipality in the 19th century with the name of Casal Velino (Velino was derived from nearby Velia). In the last decades most of the population have moved to the Marina, with the rise of a variety of accommodation facilities for tourists.
What to see
- The Marina di Casal Velino, an ancient mariner borough, in pre-Roman times a commercial harbour of Elea-Velia, where the 12th century Chapel of San Matteo ad Duo Flumina can be visited.
- At Acquavella, the 10th century church of San Michele Arcangelo, whose central nave, dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie, was renovated in the 19th century and embellished with paintings by Matteo Cilento representing the miracle of the sweating of the Statue of the Virgin Mary, which is carried out in a procession on the 2nd of July every five years.
How to get there
- By air: the nearest airport is Naples Capodichino;
- By train: nearest stationat Ascea (3 km)
- By road: motorway A3 Salerno - Reggio Calabria, exit Battipaglia or Eboli (50 km), then state road 18 direction Sapri, exit Vallo Scalo
- By sea: tourist port at Marina di Casal Velino.