Calvanico, Province of Salerno, Campania
- Altitude: 600 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1490 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 84080
- Dialing Area Code: +39 089
- Demonym: calvagnoli or calvanicesi
- Patron Saint: St. Michele, celebrated on 29th September.
However, the earliest written mentions of Calvanico appear in the Codex Cavensis, a document of the 11th century, when the name of the place was "Calbanicum". The area was a fiefdom of the Rota, San Severino of Caracciolo and Orsini families. From 1806 it was a "frazione" of the municipality of Fisciano, and in 1829 became an independent municipality.
What to see
- The Historical Centre, with picturesque alleys, squares and ancient fountains, churches, portals, noble palaces, limestone coats of arm and stucco decorations.
- The parish church of the Santissimo Salvatore, a Neo-Renaissance monument of the 18th century, built on a previous 14th century church; inside there are valuable stucco works of Calvanico artisans, as well as paintings by Solimena and Mozzillo, and a 16th-century altarpiece by Giovanni Bernardo Lama. The church was badly damaged by the earthquake of 1980 and later robbed of many works.