Ascea, Province of Salerno, Campania
- Altitude: 225 a.s.l
- Population: about 5800 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 84046
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0974
- Demonym: asceoti
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola, celebrated on 6th December; at Marina di Ascea the Madonna di Portosalvo, celebrated every 27th August
- Frazioni & Localities: Baronia, Catona, Mandia, Marina di Ascea, Salice, Stampella, Terradura, Velia.
History - Antiquity
History - the Middle Ages and Modern Times
An important historical event was the appointment of general Bartolomeo Alfredo dei Borboni, nicknamed Terradura, as marquis of the area in 1703; the marquis built a fortress, and kept a remarkable army, which in 1860 sided with Garibaldi fighting for the unity of Italy.
What to see
- The ruins of the Greek and later Roman center of Elea - Velia, surrounded by walls with several towers for a total length of about 5 km; the square bricks used in large portions have two rectangular channels on one side, and bear Greek stamps; the excavations have identified different areas: the Harbour, the 2 gates called Porta Marina and Porta Rosa, the hellenistic Thermae, the Roman Thermae, the Agorà, the Acropolis, the Southern Quarter and the Archaic Quarter. There are also remains of cisterns, a Greek amphitheatre and other buildings. The place is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- A Bourbon tower on the side of the fjord, about 2 km from the town.