Acerno, Province of Salerno, Campania
- Altitude: 727 m a.s.l
- Population: about 2700 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 84042
- Dialing Area Code: +39 089
- Patron Saint: San Donato, celebrated on 7 August.
At the fall of the Roman Empire there followed a period of decline with the first invasion of the Saracens, then the coming of the Lombards, and finally the conquest of the Normans. The Normans created a centralized state, even if divided into fiefs, based on privilege, with authority and power exercised despotically.
The Bourbons tried to revitalize the centers of the hinterland and introduced modern administrative structures. With the unification of Italy in 1860 things did not improve, rather, the century-old injustice became more apparent and unbearable.
What to see
- Cathedral of San Donato, built in 1444, destroyed and reconstructed over the centuries, with its bell tower topped by a spire top.
- The church of Madonna delle Grazie.
Events and Festivities
- Second Sunday in November, chestnut Fair.
- 7th August, patron feast for San Donato.