LogoLogo

Tufino, Province of Napoli, Campania

Tufino is a small agricultural village near the Clanio and Gaudio rivers; its economy is based on the cultivation of vegetables, cherries, beans, grapes and nuts. The name probably derives from the Latin "Thophinus", the tuff present in large quantities in the area and used as construction material in the past.

Info

  • Population: about 3000 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 80030
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 081
  • Patron Saint: St. Bartolomeo, celebrated on 24 August
  • Frazioni & Localities: Risigliano, Schiava, Vignola.

History

The urban structure of the city is organized according to the Roman layout with two main "decumani" and parallel streets. Its origins date back to the first century AD when the Romans settled in Nola.

From the 11th to the 18th century Tufino was administratively part of Nola, and from 1290 to 1533 belonged to the Orsini County. In 1631 an eruption of the Vesuvius caused serious damage to the village, which in 1640 was sold, along with other neighboring municipalities, to the king of Poland Wladyslaw IV Vasa and from him passed to Giulio Mastrilli and was included in the Universitas of Nola. Then in 1806 Tufino was separated from Nola and joined to Cicciano, to finally become an autonomous municipality in 1946.

What to see

  • The church of San Bartolomeo
  • The church of Santa Maria di Loreto.
  • At Ponticchio, the Mastrilli Palace in Renaissance style bears the date 1643 carved on the central window. It was probably built on a 15th-century church built to San Lorenzo.

Genealogy & Links

Where to stay