Sorrento, Province of Napoli, Campania
- Population: about 16,400 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 80067
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- Demonym: sorrentini
- Patron Saint: St. Antonino the Abbot, celebrated on 14 February
- Frazioni & Localities: Casarlano, Cesarano, Marano, Priora, Santa Lucia, Sorrento Capo, Marina Grande, Marina Piccola, Sorrento Capo, Sottomonte.
History - Antiquity
Inhabited since Neolithic times, it was a Greek colony, as mentioned by historian Strabo, then was occupied by the Romans, and in imperial times became with Baia and Ischia a renowned holiday resort for the wealthy Patricians. The present urban plan still reflects the typical geometry of a Roman municipium.
History - the Middle Ages
History - Modern Times
What to see
- Ruins of 3 Roman villas at Marina di Puolo
- The Basilica of Sant'Antonino, built on a previous pagan temple, in honor of the patron, with a façade in grey tufa rock; in a small patio to the right are preserved the bones of the marine mammal mentioned in the miracle; inside are frescoes with 16 scenes of the life of the saint, the last three the miracle of the child rescued from a whale. In the crypt there is a statue of the saint, with an oil lamp burning, which the faithful rub with their hands for protection.
- The Museo Correale di Terranova, with collections of Capodimonte ceramics, art galleries, archeological section, and a special collection of fans, spanning 3 centuries
- The beautiful fishing boroughs of Marina Grande and Marina Piccola.
Where to stay
- Hotels: 5-stars | 4-stars | 3-stars | 2-stars | 1-stars
- Agritourisms | Bed & Breakfasts
- Holiday Homes & other Lodgings
- Campsites & Tourist Villages.