LogoLogo

Procida, Province of Napoli, Campania

Procida is one of the Phlegraean Islands, situated about 5 km off the coast of Naples, between Cape Miseno and the island of Ischia. The territory of the municipality includes also the nearby islet of Vivara, connected to Procida with a bridge.
The island has a surface of less than 4 square km (1 and a half square mile), with a 16 km long, jagged coastline. In 1957 the first underwater aqueduct in Europe was built from the mainland to supply the island with freshwater. The economy is still largely tied to fishing and shipbuilding, although the tourist industry is also growing.

Info

  • Population: about 10,400 inhabitants in 2018
  • Zip/postal code: 80079
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 081
  • Demonym: procidani
  • Patron Saint: St. Michael, celebrated on September 29
  • Frazioni & Localities: Vivara.

Administrative Division

It is traditionally divided into nine contrade called grancìe: Terra Murata (the oldest settlement), Corricella (a fishing hamlet), Sent'cò with the commercial port of Marina Grande, San Leonardo, Santissima Annunziata (also called Madonna della Libera), Sant'Antuono, Sant'Antonio and Chiaiolella (with a tourist port).

History - Antiquity

Geologically, the island was created by the eruption of four volcanoes, now dormant and submerged. Its history is very ancient, and began with the occupation of the Mycenaeans between the 16th and 15th centuries BC. Later on Greek settlers came to the island from Cuma. Under the Romans, Procida became a fashionable resort for the patrician class.

History - the Middle Ages

After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the island was first taken by the Goths, then reconquered by the Byzantines in the 6th century AD. Because of the many raids of the Vandals and Goths first, and the Saracens later, the population settled in a fortified citadel on the promontory called Terra, which later changed its name into Terramurata.

With the Norman conquest of Southern Italy, Procida with its mainland part, today called Mount of Procida, came under the Da Procida family, that controlled the island for over two centuries. In 1339, the fiefdom was handed to the Cossa family, of French origin, loyal followers of the Angevine dynasty then reigning in Naples.

History - Modern Times

Under Charles V, in the 16th century, the island was granted to the D'Avalos family. In 1744 King Charles III made Procida a royal game reserve, and greatly encouraged the shipbuilding craft, so much so that the population rose to approximately 16,000 inhabitants. The Napoleonic Wars brought heavy devastations, because of the island's strategic position in the sea war between the French and English.
[the text above is freely derived from Wikipedia and is subject to the GNU licence]

Where to stay