Massa Lubrense, Province of Napoli, Campania
- Population: about 14,200 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 80061 Massa Lubrense (including Marciano, Marina di Lobra and Marina di Puolo), 80060 Monticchio di Massa Lubrense, 80064 Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, 80068 Termini
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- Demonym: massesi
- Patron Saint: St. Cataldo, celebrated on 10 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Acquara, Annunziata, Casa, Marciano, Marina del Cantone, Marina della Lobra, Marina di Puolo, Metrano, Monticchio, Nerano, Pastena, San Francesco, Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, Santa Maria, Santa Maria della Neve, Schiazzano, Termini, Torca.
History - Antiquity
In Roman times it was called Promontorium Minervae, a name that appears in the Tabula Peutingeriana (an ancient Roman road map) next to the first graphical representation of the temple. In the first century AD patricians from Rome started to settle here in sumptuous mansions, of which interesting remains are extant. There were also veterans who, once dismissed, were assigned plots of land.
History - the Middle Ages
In 1273 its citizens, mostly Ghibellines, suffered the reprisal of Carlo d'Angiò, who subjected Massa to Sorrento. In 1465 the settlement of the Annunziata was destroyed by Ferrante d'Aragona, after a two years' siege. In the 15th century the Queen of Naples, Joanna II of Durazzo, built here a splendid palace, on whose remains in the 16th century Jesuit father Vincenzo Maggio established a "Collegio" with a high defense tower, today commonly known as the "Torrione".
History - from the Renaissance to 1800
During the Bourbon domination, Massa also was affected by a rebirth of commercial and artisan activities, side by side with the traditional peasant economy. Due to the lack of communication routes by land, a fleet of large boats was formed, which sailed to Naples and other Mediterranean ports starting lively export and import movements. The trade with Naples especially was so intense that a whole Neapolitan district near the docks was called "Porta di Massa". The harbor was so well equipped that in 1808 Joachim Murat directed from Massa the military operations against the English who occupied Capri.
History - Modern Times
During the Second World War a large number of displaced people of the rich bourgeoisie, especially from Naples that was being heavily bombed, settled in the so-called "manor houses", their holiday homes. After the armistice of 1943 a lot of disbanded soldiers found shelter near local families, and many of them at the end of the war settled here. In 1944 groups of refugees from Cassino and Nettuno, almost razed to the ground, were welcomed by the population, as well as contingents of Irish soldiers (in Massa) and Americans (in Sant'Agata).
What to see
- The Jeranto Bay, which can be reached only through a path from the hamlet of Nerano
- The fishing port of Marina della Lobra, a natural bay with a tourist port and traditional Mediterranean houses; the hamlet faces the Vervece island rock, with a statue of the Virgin Mary on the sea bottom; on August 15 a boat procession goes to the rock and scuba divers place a flower garland on the statue.
- The frazione of Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, one of the most beautiful seaside resorts in the world, situated at the junction of the gulfs of Naples and Amalfi.
- The hamlet of Termini, exactly on the promontory separating the two gulfs, called Punta della Campanella.