LogoLogo

Comiziano, Province of Napoli, Campania

Situated 3 km from Nola and 27 from Naples, along the Caserta-Naples highway, Comiziano has a typical medieval look with narrow streets and small squares. The territory is planted mainly with nuts, vines and fruit.
The toponym may derive from a kind of olive called "cominia" in Latin, or to the fact that here the Knights of Malta (Comites) from the nearby village of Cicciano used to meet; still another etymology connects it to the Gens Cominia that had vast estates in the area.

Info

  • Altitude: 73 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 1800 inhabitants in 2017
  • Zip/postal code: 80030
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 081
  • Patron Saint: St. Severino, celebrated on 8th January
  • Frazioni & Localities: Gallo.

History

The origins of Comiziano date back 1st century BC to the 1st century AD, when it was one of the many rustic villas (farms) scattered in the countryside Nola, whose lands were distributed to soldiers by Roman consul Sulla. The original name was "Comignano" or "Cumignano" but was changed in 1909 by royal decree to "Comiziano", though locally the place is still called "Cumignano".

Throughout the medieval period Comiziano was one of the "casali" of Nola, the central hub of all the villages or farms that originated from the various Roman settlements. In 1643 Nola and the casali passed to Giulio Mastrilli, and later became a free Universitas. At this time, Cumignano became a town with the hamlet of Gallo.

What to see

  • The ruins of the Del Balzo baron palace building Leap and the villa of Marquis Imperiale d'Afflitto.
  • The Parish church dating to 1527 with a single nave in the Renaissance style.

Genealogy & Links

Where to stay