LogoLogo

Casamarciano, Province of Napoli, Campania

A fine small centre situated in the hilly north-east area of Vesuvius, in the plain surrounding the larger town of Nola. Until 1927 Casamarciano was part of the province of Caserta, from that date on passed to the province of Naples.

Info

  • Altitude: 70 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 3200 inhabitants in 2017
  • Zip/postal code: 80032
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 081
  • Frazioni & Localities: Schiava, Trivio
  • Patron Saint: Pope Clemens, celebrated on 23rd November.

History - Antiquity

The antiquity of this area is evidenced by traces of Paleolithic settlements, ruins of old buildings, objects such as vases, candlesticks, coins, oil lamps, kept at the National Museum of Naples. There are no sure documents on the origins of the name Casamarciano, which might derive from Marciano, a ruthless persecutor of Christians in 83 AD, or from a temple built in this place and dedicated to the god Mars.

History - the Middle Ages

The antiquity of this area is evidenced by traces of Paleolithic settlements, ruins of old buildings, objects such as vases, candlesticks, coins, oil lamps, kept at the National Museum of Naples. There are no sure documents on the origins of the name Casamarciano, which might derive from Marciano, a ruthless persecutor of Christians in 83 AD, or from a temple built in this place and dedicated to the god Mars.

The village originally consisted of four settlements: Cola, Marciano, Curti and Vriana. Later on Casamarciano was one of the sixteen "casali" (Saviano, Sant'Erasmo, Sirico, San Paolo, Cimitile, Camposano, Cumignano, Casamarciano, Faibano, Gallo, Livardi, Liveri, Risigliano, Vignola, Tuffino e Scaravito) of Nola.

History - Modern Times

After the end of the dominion of the Orsini (1529), Nola became a free city and most of its sixteen hamlets, including Casamarciano, were purchased in 1643 by landowner Giulio Mastrilli. Some of the "casali" acquired administrative autonomy, among them Casamarciano. Joachim-Napoléon Murat, king of Naples from 1808 to 1815, divided the district of Nola into ten "circondari", and Nola included the municipalities of Cicala, Cimitile and Casamarciano.

What to see

  • The church of Santa Maria and Badia Virginiana, founded between 1136 and 1158 as a dependance of the monastery of Montevergine.

Genealogy & Links

Where to stay