Afragola, Province of Napoli, Campania
Situated between the territories corresponding to the ancient cities of Acerra and Atella, Afragòla is among the 100 biggest Italian cities, with over 50,000 inhabitants.
- Population: about 64,000 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 80021
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- Demonym: afragolesi
- Patron Saint: St. Gennaro, celebrated on 19 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Capo Mazzo, Saggese.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The commune is a remarkable commercial area in southern Italy, with several megastores, a multiplex and over 100 shops. Within the project of the new high-speed Turin-Naples railway, in Afragola one of the three main stations in Europe will be built (the other two being Bologna and Munich), on a design by Zaha Hadid.
What to see
- The basilica of St. Anthony, that made it well-known as the "Padua of South".
- The historical center
- A great many churches for which it is called the "city of the churches".