Castel Campagnano, Province of Caserta, Campania
- Altitude: 58 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1500 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 81010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0823
- Demonym: castel campagnanesi
- Patron Saint: Madonna della Neve, celebrated on 5 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Mascioni, Schiete, Squille.
History - the Early Middle Ages
Castel Campagnano was mentioned for the first time in a Bull of 979 AD which gave the title of bishop of Caiazzo to Stefano Menecillo. In this document it is stated that the town had three churches, which means it had already been in existence for many centuries, maybe since Roman times, which is also proven by traces of a Roman villa on the southern outskirts of the village in the area of Squille.
History - the Late Middle Ages
In a deed dated 1210 bishop Giovanni granted to Pietro, son of Maria, a piece of land on the edge of the fiefdom of Caiazzo, in Campagnano near the church of San Marco, a church also mentioned in the "Rationes Decimarum" of the year 1326, but no more existing today, though a district of the center is called San Marco. Under the Swabian domination Campagnano, along with Alvignanello and Squille, was part of the Barony of Ruviano which in 1243 was granted to Giovanni di Presenzano; during the 14th century Campagnano was probably owned by the abbey of San Salvatore Telesino. In 1383 a battle took place between the two armies near Campagnano in the war between Louis of Anjou and Charles III of Durazzo.
History - Modern Times
In 1461 Campagnano and Squille, which along with Alvignanello were under Giovanna of Celano, after her rebellion, were granted by king Ferdinand to Roberto Sanseverino, together with the county of Caiazzo and from that moment onwards Campagnano was included in the county of Caiazzo, until the abolition of feudalism in 1806. In 1860 near Campagnano the Volturno battle was fought between Garibaldi and the Bourbon army.
What to see
- The Castello Ducale, built on an ancient fortress, was used until the 17th century as a winery. In the 1980's ruins of an 11th-century church were found, with late byzanthine frescoes.