Caianello, Province of Caserta, Campania
- Altitude: 236 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1800 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 81059
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0823
- Patron Saint: San Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 29th September
- Frazioni & Localities: Aorivola, Caianello Vecchio, Casinove, Cittadella, Gaudisciano, Lompari, Montano, Poza, Santa Lucia.
History - Antiquity
The colony took the name Caianum, then with the transition from Latin to the vernacular, the name became Caiano and later Caianello. Of those ancient origins only historical memories remain, place names, and ruins of Roman tombs dating to the 3rd and 4th century BC.
History - the Middle Ages and Modern Times
What to see
- The Castle, built probably before the 9th century, underwent several changes under the Angevin and Aragonese rule and is today in ruins, apart from a cylindrical tower.
- The Parish Church of San Michele Arcangelo
- The Parish Church of Saints Vincenzo and Anastasio at Gaudisciano.
- The Parish Church of Santo Stefano at Aorivola.