Ailano, Province of Caserta, Campania
- Altitude: 260 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1300 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 81010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0823
- Patron Saint: St. John the Apostle and Evangelist
- Frazioni & Localities: Cerqueta, Cerquito, Le Vaglie, Serretelle, Vaglie Padule.
History - the Middle Ages
In 1230 Frederick II, returning from Jerusalem, took over Ailano. From 1329 to 1381 it was a feud of the Capuano family, then until 1398 belonged to the Gaetani family, then in 1399 passed under the Capuano, the Sanframondi and the Pandone since Mariuccia Capuano married first Carlo Pandone, then on his death married Nicola Sanframondi.
History - Modern Times
During the Risorgimento there were Carbonari groups who met in the Church of Annunziata, and in 1860 the castle was home to some patriots who were planning to free the Terra di Lavoro from the Bourbons. During the Second World War, for its strategic position behind the hills, the area was occupied by the Germans and the inhabitants were displaced for a period.
What to see
- The ruins of the Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria in Cingla, which was founded just before 748 AD by the duke of Benevento Gisulf II on the ruins of the church of San Cassiano and, until the coming of the Normans, hosted only noble Lombard girls. Destroyed by the Saracens in 847 and again in 943, it was rebuilt in the early 12th century by Abbot Gerard, on the model of the church of San Martino in Cassino, and was under the rule of the monastery of Montecassino. Excavations on the site brought to light tombs, columns, a mosaic floor and remains of frescoes on the side wall of the nave and in the apsis.
- The church of San Giovanni Evangelista, of ancient origin and restored in 1906, with three aisles, which preserves the frontal of the altar of the Rosary from the Romanesque monastery of Cingla, and a frontal of the high altar of the 17th century, made of red gravel with gray marble inlays, a baptismal font of the 16th century, a wooden statue of St. John of the late 16th century, a bust of St. Onorio, paintings of the 17th century, and a huge bell dated 1658.
Genealogy & Links
- 6 May and Dec. 26, patron feast with a great bonfire lit in the Piazza Regina Margherita.