LogoLogo

Zungoli, Province of Avellino, Campania

Located in the upper Ufita valley, to the right of the Vallone stream, Zungoli rises on a small tuff hill facing Monte Molara, in a territory crossed by the Pescasseroli-Candela "tratturo", an ancient transhumance route along the Apennine watershed line.
This typical Irpinian center with narrow cobbled streets, often climbing along the ridge of the hill with stone stairways, is included among the most beautiful boroughs in Italy (Borghi Più Belli d'Italia) and was also awarded the orange flag of the Italian Touring Club.

Info

  • Altitude: 657 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 1070 inhabitants in 2017
  • Zip/postal code: 83030
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
  • Patron Saint: St. Anna celebrated on 26 July
  • Frazioni & Localities: Casette, San Cesareo, Taverna.

History - Antiquity

Archaeological excavations have brought to light findings of human settlements dating back to the Eneolithic age; moreover, many artefacts of Roman origin have been found, including funerary and military coins and stones. As a matter of fact, in the area of today's Zungoli, the Via Herculea joined the Via Traiana and Via Appia. This also explains the cult in Zungoli of San Cesareo of Terracina, the patron saint of Roman emperors, a cult that rose and spread along the Appian Road.

History - the Middle Ages and Modern Times

During the Middle Ages a fortified borough rose on the site, named after the Norman captain who built the castle, Leander Curulo or Giungolo or Juncolo; actually, the toponym might be connected also to Zùngolo from the Greek "Tsungos", a surname recorded also in Basilicata.

The fief, owned by the Angevins, was given by Carlo I Anjou to Enrico of Valmontone. Then the estate passed into the hands of the de Gianvilla who kept it until 1331. Then, following the death of Erarda de Gianvilla, it passed to her husband Filippo Siginulfo, and later the fiefdom became the property of Raimondo del Balzo. From the 16th century onwards, after the interlude of Consalvo da Cordova, the place, under the name of "Casale of Baronia Vico", was the property of Francesco Loffredo and his heirs until the abolition of feudalism in 1806.

What to see

  • The Castle, originally a defensive watch tower and today an aristocratic dwelling, overlooks the center from above.

Genealogy & Links

Where to stay