Villamaina, Province of Avellino, Campania
Located on a hill about 500 meters above sea level, near a mythological place, the Valle d'Ansanto, sung by Virgil in the Eneide, Villamaina is also a "spa" resort thanks to the presence, in the immediate vicinity, of the Terme di San Teodoro.
Many houses were rebuilt after the 1980 Irpinia earthquake as a result of which two churches also collapsed and one was seriously damaged.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 560 m a.s.l
- Population: about 970 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Patron Saint: St. Paolino
- Frazioni & Localities: Bagni di San Teodoro, Formolano, Vertoli, San Paolino.
The origins are medieval and in Norman times Villamaina was a citadel of the Barony of Frigento. It was later owned by the Gesualdo and Caracciolo families.
What to see
- The Arco Civile, with a sun dial.
- The Chapel of Carmine.
- The church of Santa Maria of Costantinopoli.
- The Terme di San Teodoro, known since ancient times for the therapeutic properties of their waters, have been restored and reopened after a long period of abandonment. On the right side of the spa complex there is a small, ancient church that has recently been consecrated.