Trevico, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 1090 m a.s.l
- Population: about 930 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83058
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Vallata. Proceed along the S.S. 91 bis S.P. 144 for 8 km.
- Demonym: trevicani
- Patron Saint: St. Euplio celebrated on 12 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Caprareccia, Farullo, Molini, Santa Lucia, Santa Marena, San Vito, Vecito.
In the Middle Ages it was called just Vico and was a bishopric, later on it was a fiefdom of the Scotti and of Queen Sancia, then passed to the Loffredo family and later to Consalvo de Cordoba that revived the old name of Trevico. Other feudal lords were the De Bruverris, the De Balzo and the Loffredo.
What to see
- The medieval castle, erected on the highest point of the centre, already existed under the Norman domination, then became the home of local feudal lords. Progressively abandoned from the 15th century, today only remains are extant of some walls with windows and the Aragonese-style tower.
- The Cathedral, a national monument, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, was built on a Greek cross plan between the 5th and 6th centuries AD, and houses the relics of Sant'Euplio and the martyr from Palermo Santa Rosalia. In the 11th century, when Trevico was erected as a bishopric, the building was deeply modified and the main entrance was carved into the bell tower. Enlarged in the 16th century, it was seriously damaged in the 1694, 1702 and 1732 earthquakes. Modernized at the end of the 19th century, it was once again damaged by the Irpinia earthquake of 1980, and another restoration followed.
- The "Port'Alba", also known as Porta Jacovella or Porta Urbica, is the access road to the historic center of Trevico located in its north-eastern part. Built in 1578 during the Aragonese domination, the gate is made up of a round arch supported by two lava stone pillars. In the upper part of the there are three coats of arms, including that of the Loffredo of Vico.
- The Palazzo Scola, where director Ettore Scola was born in 1931 and spent his early childhood, located in the alleys of the historic center, it retains many of its original stylistic and decorative elements; renovated after the earthquake of 1980, in 2003 it was donated by the Scola family to the municipality of Trevico.