Torrioni, Province of Avellino, Campania
Located 26 km from Avellino, in an elevated position on the right side of the Middle Sabato valley, at the confluence of the Corvo stream, Torrioni is part of the Comunità montana Partenio - Vallo di Lauro.
The main economic resource is the production of the excellent DOCG wine "Greco di Tufo", among the most renowned in Italy.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 645 m a.s.l
- Population: about 540 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Demonym: abitanti torrionesi
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 29 September.
The origin of the center date to the ninth century AD, when the prince of Benevento Aione II built near Tufo a large fortified tower, around which, over the years, a small settlement was born, which later became Torrioni. The tower took its name from the prince who built it, "Turris Aionis", which is the origin of the toponym.
Torrioni was part of the Duchy of Benevento. Then it was a fiefdom of the Capobianco family, who kept the title of lords of the place till 1806.
What to see
- The parish church dedicated to San Michele Arcangelo dates back to the 18th century.
- The remains of the original tower that gave the place its name,, rebuilt in the Aragonese period.
- 29th of September, St. Michael's day is celebrated with beautiful fireworks.
- Palio della Torre, a historical reconstruction that takes place in the archaeological site of Turris Ayonis.