Torella dei Lombardi, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 666 m a.s.l
- Population: about 2000 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83057
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Grottaminarda or Avellino Est; proceed for 2 km along the nazionale Appia n.7
- Demonym: torellesi
- Patron Saint: St. Eustachio celebrated on 20 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Acquara, Cedolena, Cerri, Girifalco, Lenze, Montanaldo, Pianomarotta, Santi Giovanni e Paolo, San Vito, Serrone.
The first mention of the name dates back to 850 as "Turrella" (= small tower). It belonged to the Saraceno family until 1529, when it passed to Alfonso della Rosa who in 1550 sold Torella and Girifalco to the Caracciolo, who in 1639 were awarded the title of Torella princes and kept the title until the Unification of Italy.
Until 1862 Torella dei Lombardi was called just Torella, while "dei Lombardi" was added only after the unification of Italy, in order to avoid cases of homonymy. In the 1950s the last heirs of the Caracciolo donated the castle to the municipality that now uses it as the seat of the townhall and as a museum.
What to see
- The Castello Candriano, also called "Ruspoli", 15th century
- The Fontana Pubblica Monumentale, a fountain with nine spouts through which the water springs out and falls into square stone basins.
- The Norman Tower, on the Girifalco hill.
Where to stay
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.