LogoLogo

Taurasi, Province of Avellino, Campania

The largest oenological centerinof the Middle Valle del Calore, Taurasi is located on a spur of the right side of the river, near the S.S. 90 of Puglia.
Taurasi is renowned worldwide for its extra virgin olive oil "Irpinia - Colline dell'Ufita" as well as, of course, for the homonymous DOCG wine, obtained from Aglianico grapes (100% or 85% with the addition of other non-aromatic red grape varieties), of intense ruby red color tending to garnet that acquires orange reflections with aging. The Taurasi is a classy wine, perfect with game, red meat and strong fermented cheeses.

Info

  • Altitude: 398 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 2300 inhabitants in 2017
  • Zip/postal code: 83030
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
  • Demonym: taurasini
  • Patron Saint: St. Marciano of Frigento, celebrated on 14 June
  • Frazioni & Localities: Trignana, Bosco, San Pietro, Sant'Arcangelo, Isca, San Martino.

History - Antiquity

The toponym is of Oscan-Sabellian origin and refers to the bull, mythical animal symbol of the Samnite tribe of the "Taurasini", who arriving from the North occupied a large area between today's provinces of Avellino and Benevento, which was named after them "Ager Taurasinus" and founded here the city-state of Taurasia.

Near this town in 273 BC Roman consul Manlius C. Dentatus defeated the armies of Pyrrhus. During the Punic Wars, the Taurasini sided with Hannibal and afterwards suffered almost total annihilation by the Romans. Later on Taurasia became a "foederata" (=allied) of Rome. In the almost depopulated territories in 181-180 B.C. the Liguri-Apuani were deported and the name was latinized to "Taurasium".

After the battle of Philippi, in 42 B.C. the territory was given to the veteran Roman soldiers, and the new owners began to build villas. In this historical period the cultivation of the "Hellenic" wine grapes spread.

History - the Middle Ages and Modern Times

With the arrival of the Lombards, there was a rebirth and Taurasi rose again, almost on the same site. During the 10th century AD the castle was repeatedly destroyed by the Saracens, then under the Normans it was rebuilt and in 1101 assigned to Trogisio of Taurasi of the Sanseverino lineage and became a barony. Then the place passed from baron to baron, the Lautrecs, the Caracciolo and the Gesualdo.

During the 17th century, more than half the inhabitants were victims of the plague epidemic. The fiefdom then passed to the Carafa d'Aragona and, from 1726, to the Latilla until the abolition of feudalism in 1806.

Events

  • In August, the "Taurasi Wine Fair", attended by thousands of visitors.

What to see

  • The historical center, with the imposing castle and lovely dwellings with stone portals.
  • The church of San Marciano Bishop, in Largo Duomo, existing already in the 7th century AD, but completely rebuilt in the 18th century.
  • The church of the Santissimo Rosario, dating back to 1582, adjoined to the Dominican Convent, where today the townhall is hosted.

Where to stay