Taurano, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 300 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1500 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- Demonym: tauranesi
- Patron Saint: Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo celebrated on 16 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Fraconia, Pantanielli, Sant'Angelo, Scalzapreti, Torre.
In the Middle Ages it was part of the fief of Lauro and was under various families such as the Del Balzo, Orsini di Nicola, and Lancellotti. In the early 19th century was part of the province of Terra di Lavoro; during the Italian Risorgimento, Taurano gave protection to anti-Bourbon conspirators, such as Friar Angelo Peluso, and brigands like Fra Diavolo. After 1861 Taurano became an independent municipality and was included in the province of Avellino.
What to see
- The church of the Assunta
- The church of the Madonna of the Rosary (1700).
- The convent of S. Giovanni in Palco (1300). The cloister is painted with scenes on the life of S. Francis of Assisi and in the refectory frescoes of the last supper. From all over the valley the high bell tower of the convent can be admired.
Genealogy & Links
Where to stay
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.