Sperone, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 175 m a.s.l
- Population: about 3700 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- Demonym: speronesi
- Patron Saint: St. Elia
After the fall of the Roman empire in 476 AD, at the time of barbarian invasions, the Roman town of Avella was destroyed and the inhabitants, who had taken refuge into the mountains, formed new settlements, which were long united with Avella. Little by little, groups of people settled south near the ancient church of St. Elia, and this hamlet gave rise to present Sperone.
Up to the 18th century it belonged to the Sforza of Celano.
What to see
- The church of the Annunziata, located along the Puglie national road and almost completely rebuilt after the 1980 earthquake.
- 19th-century Palazzo Vetrani and Palazzo Borselli.
- Religious festivities: Santa Croce (May 2), St.Antonio da Padova (June 13), patron St.Elia Prophet (February 20).
Where to stay
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.