Solofra, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 230-300 m a.s.l
- Population: about 12,400 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83029
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Demonym: solofrani
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo celebrated on 29 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Sant'Agata Irpina, Sant'Andrea Apostolo.
History - Antiquity
History - the Middle Ages
Later on the Duchy was divided into the two Principalities of Benevento and Salerno, and Solofra, located in the border area, came under the protecttion of the latter. With the coming of the Normans it became a fief of the Sanseverino, then the Filangieri de Candida, then the Zurlo.
History - Modern Times
In 1895 it was granted the title of "città". On 23 November 1980, at 7:34 pm, the municipality, along with many other centers in the provinces of Avellino, Salerno and Potenza, was hit by the violent Irpinia earthquake that caused in Solofra 21 victims and enormous damage to monuments and homes.
What to see
- The Cathedral dedicated to San Michele, with a baroque façade, embellished with carved woodworks covered with gold and paintings by Francesco Guarini, a follower of Caravaggio.
- The Palazzo Ducale, late Renaissance.