Senerchia, Province of Avellino, Campania
Senerchia rises in the Alta Valle del Sele, in a hilly area on the eastern side of the Monti Picentini, at the foot of the steep slopes of Mount Boscotiello.
In addition to the Sele river, there are numerous waterways, some of which disappeared following the earthquake of 23 November 1980; the best known was the La Pazzata torrent which in 2010, after a very rainy spring, reappeared for a few weeks before disappearing again.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 600 m a.s.l
- Population: about 800 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- Demonym: senerchiesi
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo celebrated on 29 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Acquabianca, Bosco, Calvario, Cannogne, Carpinito, Cervara, Maglio, Persanico, Quaglietta, Querceta, Seperoni, Sorbo, Serrapiano, Serrarote, Valvanico.
There is scanty evidence on the ancient history of the place, the earliest historical mention is in 1160, when it was governed by Fulco de Senerchia, a vassal of count Filippo Balbano. In 1239 it belonged to Riccardo de Senerchia. A number of feudal lords followed each other until in 1776 count Nicola Macedonio obtained the fiefdom and he was the last lord up to the abolition of feudalism (1806).
The area was damaged by earthquake events in 1694, 1783, 1853, 1930, 1980.