Scampitella, Province of Avellino, Campania
Scampitella is located in Irpinia, near the regional border with Puglia, along the Apennine watershed, between the Ufita valley and the Calaggio basin.
It is mainly an agricultural town, hit in latest decades by emigration and depopulation; it was until 1948 a frazione of the municipality of Trevico.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 775 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Patron Saint: St. Michele
- Frazioni & Localities: Ciccarella, Città di Contra, Scipione.
The present settlement goes back to medieval times when it was a hamlet under the "Baronia di Vico".
What to see
- The church della Consolazione: Its origin is closely linked to the ancient legend of a certain Bourbon soldier who, lost in the woods, dreamt that he was to become a hermit and build a church. Rebuilt in a modern style, it is rich in works of art, such as a wooden statue of the 18th century.
- The War Memorial, located in the main square and completely covered in marble with a bronze eagle on top.
- At Contra, ancient ruins have been found.