Savignano Irpino, Province of Avellino, Campania
Savignano is located along the Puglie state road 90 on the border with Puglia, between the two hills of the Tombola and Calvario as a saddle, in an excellent position on right side of the Cervaro river.
The toponym derives from "Castrum Sabinianum", from a castle built on the site. It still preserves important historic evidence and pre-Roman and Roman archaeological remains; since 2016 it is part of the club "The most Beautiful Boroughs in Italy".
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 698 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Patron Saint: St. Anna celebrated on 26 July.
- Frazioni & Localities: Ciccotonno, Bosco, Cesine, Cavallari, Difesa, Ferrara, Fiego, Ischia, Ortichella, Prato, Pescara, Savignano Scalo.
In 1416 it was a fiefdom of Francesco Sforza and from the 17th century belonged to the Guevara family. The place was called Savignano until 1862 when the specification "di Puglia" was added, to distinguish it from homonyms sites in Emilia-Romagna. In 1963 the municipality passed from the Puglia region to the Province of Avellino, snd the name changed again into Savignano Irpino.
Two disastrous events marked the period after the Second World War: the 1962 earthquake, which caused serious damage to the historical heritage, and the 1980 Irpinia earthquake, which caused some more damage.
What to see
- 18th-century Church of San Nicola, with remarkable works of art.
- The mediaeval Castle, located in a dominant position, which was turned in the early 1700's into an elegant palace by the Guevara family; only very few remains are extant today of the original castle.
- The Palazzo Orsini, built in 1727 by Pope Benedetto XIII and used as a residence.
- In the Ferrara district, the ruins of a Norman fortress.
- The 17th-century Church of Madonna delle Grazie.