Sant'Andrea di Conza, Province of Avellino, Campania
About 65 km from Avellino, Sant'Andrea rises in the hills along the valley of the Ofanto river, near the border with Basilicata, in the immediate vicinity of the ancient Roman colony of Conza, from which the toponym. The territory is highly seismic and was hit by earthquakes in 1456, 1694, 1732 and 1980.
The center is well known for the great craftsmanship of its artisans, especially in the manufacturing of wrought iron, stone carving and embroidery.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 665 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1400 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83053
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Demonym: santandreani
- Patron Saint: St. Andrea.
The first certain historical mention of the place go back to 1161, when it was listed among the possessions of count Gionata Balvano. It was later governed by archbishops as feudal lords, who set their seat in a 16th-century fortified building, a circular tower known as Episcopio, where the townhall is today.
What to see
- The 18th-century church of San Domenico, with three naves
- The 19th-century Seminario Metropolitano, with important decorations.
- During the Holy Week, the Procession of the Misteries.
- The Incoronata (last Saturday in April)
- On the last Saturday in May, the rite of the Maggiaiole, when unmarried girls, dressed in white with a white veil full of grapes, go in a procession to the Cathedral of Conza, to pray the Virgin Mary for a fine fiance, then husband, as a reward for their homely virtues. In Conza youths and young men eat the grapes brought by the maidens, who then return to Sant'Andrea.
- 16th July, the Madonna del Carmine
- In August, S. Andrea (20th August) and St. Emidio (30th August).