San Martino Valle Caudina, Province of Avellino, Campania
San Martino is situated on the slopes of Mounts Pizzone and Teano, which are part of the Partenio mountains, on the edge of the Caudina Valley.
Its territory is very fertile below the village while above, to the north, there are thick chestnut and beech forests.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 315 m a.s.l
- Population: about 4800 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83018
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0824
- Demonym: sammartinesi
- Patron Saint: St. Martino of Tours celebrated on 11 November
- Frazioni & Localities: Campanino, Casadami, Clementi, Crocevia, Girone, Iardino, Innocenzi, La Pietra, Mancini, Masseria Teti, Poeti, Quercino, Rocchi, San Palerio, Stazione di San Martino Valle Caudina (Scalo), Tedeschi, Tufara Valle, Vernilli, Verretelle, Vitaliani
In 320 B.C. the place was the theatre of battles between Sannites and Romans, as showm by archaeological findings. In the Middle Ages, thanks to its strategic position guarding the Caudina Valley, the fortified center was a fiefdom of the Capece and D'Aquino, then passed to the Della Leonessa, whose descendants still keep the title of Dukes.
What to see
- The Palazzo Ducale, a property of the Della Leonessa family
- A Gallery of Contemporary Art
- The Pignatelli Castle, of Lombard origin and transformed over the centuries, still inhabited by the descendants of Alfonso Pignatelli della Leonessa.
- First Sunday in May, festivals are held in honor of St. Equizio and St.Palerio.
- Early August: the Sammartinese Summer.
- Late August; the festival of Our Lady of Peace.