Rotondi, Province of Avellino, Campania
This very ancient center rises in the middle of the Caudina Valley, at the foot of Mount Partenio and Mount Taburno.
The landscape is a green fertile valley, where tomatoes, tobacco, chestnuts, fruit and all kinds of vegetables are cultivated while on the mountains above beech and chestnut woods offer excellent excursions to nature lovers, up to the Taburno natural reserve and Mount Pizzo Falcone (962 m) that separates Irpinia from Sannio.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 272 m a.s.l
- Population: about 3600 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83017
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0824
- Demonym: rotondesi
- Patron Saint: St. Michele celebrated on 29 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Campizze, Curelli, Santo Stefano.
In Roman times it was called "Castrum Rotundorum". In 1245 it was fiefdom of the De Rotondis family and later of the Della Leonessa, the Carafa and the Caracciolo.
- The Ferragosto Rotondese (25 July-20 August).
- The procession of Santa Maria della Stella at Easter.
- 15th of August, feast at the Sanctuary of Madonna della Stella.
What to see
- The Historical Centre with charming views.
- The parish church of the Annunziata (18th century)
- The tower clock
- The church of Maria SS. della Stella (18th century)
- The Palazzo Maietta, 17th century
- The sanctuary of Madonna della Stella located below Mount Partenio and probably built during the 16th century.