Prata di Principato Ultra, Province of Avellino, Campania
The small town is located on a steep spur overlooking the river Sabato, and is surrounded by woods and fruit trees. In history it enjoyed a strategic position, along the main the routes between Naples and Puglia and between Benevento and Salerno.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 310 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 2900 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 83030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Demonym: pratesi
- Patron Saint: St. Giacomo celebrated on 25 July
- Frazioni & Localities: Annunziata, Ponte del Sabato, Tavernanova.
What to see
- Basilica of the Annunziata, which preserves inside two old treasures of Irpinia: the apses of the original church of the 6th century AD and a Christian catacomb of still earlier times. Inside there is also a fine fresco of the Madonna with child of the 11th century.