Pietrastornina, Province of Avellino, Campania
The municipality is part of the mountain community Partenio - Vallo di Lauro, and its territory is largely included within the Regional Park of Partenio. Looming from the top of a rocky mountain is a Lombard castle where Renato D'Angiò found refuge.
- Altitude: 513 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1500 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83015
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Patron Saint: St. Biagio celebrated on 3rd February
- Frazioni & Localities: Cappella, Case Mabili, Case Ragucci, Case Rossi, Ciardelli Inferiore, Ciardelli Superiore, Due Strade, Furmo, Grastiello, Iuliani, Paradisi, Piantedosi, Sacconi, Salvatori, Sellitti, Starza.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
It was a fiefdom of many noble families like the Filangieri, the Stendardo, the De Balzo, the Leonessa and the Carafa of Maddaloni. Donato Massa, a famous pottery artist, was born here in the 17th century; an annual national competition of ceramists is held every August in his honor.
What to see
- The church of the Annunziata (18th century), with a lovely late-baroque façade, an artistic portal and tall bell tower.
- The medieval castle, now an old ruin that over looks the town.
- The church of the Rosario (18th century) with sacred images and statues of saints.