Parolise, Province of Avellino, Campania
Located 9km kilometers from the city of Avellino, on the side of a hill between the valleys of the rivers Sabato and Calore, the small center is renowned for its excellent wine.
After the 1980 earthquake a large part of the houses were restored and new modern dwellings were built.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 660 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Demonym: parolisani
- Patron Saint: san Rocco celebrated onAugust16 agosto
- Frazioni & Localities: Serra.
It was a fiefdom of the Capace family, and later was governed by the Filangieri and the barons of S. Barbato. In 1681 it wad a fiefdom of the Duke of Salza and later of the Prince of Volturara; the last feudal lords were the Mastelloni family.
What to see
- The historical center, with its charming beautiful portals, arcades and decorations around the windows.
- The Tower Clock of the 17th century, restored many times.
- The church of San Vitaliano, restored after 1980, one of the most important churches in town.
- The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (19th century).