LogoLogo

Nusco, Province of Avellino, Campania

Nusco is located on a mountain along the Apennine watershed line between the valleys of the rivers Fanto and Calore (tributary of the Volturno) in their upper courses.
It is called "Irpinia's balcony", since from the terraces of its castle or the avenues bordering the towna wide panorama can be admired ranging from the Vulture massif as far as Montagnone di Nusco, Terminio, Partenio, Taburno, and the Matese and Dauni ranges.

Info

  • Territory: mountainous
  • Population: about 4100 inhabitants in 2017
  • Zip/postal code: 83051
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
  • How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Avellino Est. Circonvallazione Avellino. "Ofantina" road towards Lioni
  • Patron Saint: St. Amato celebrated on 28 May
  • Frazioni & Localities: Campo di Nusco, Casale Teta, Grotte, Lago, Macchia, Marmore, Ofanto, Ponteromito, Serre, Soriente.

What to see

  • The Library located in the old Seminary.
  • The Lombard Castle.
  • The Cathedral: dating back to the 18th century, around a 13th-century crypt.
  • The Monument of Santa Croce , built in 1619 in local stone.
  • The Statue of Sant'Amato.

Where to stay

History

During the 11th century Nusco acquired the title of "civitas" being the seat of a Duke or bishopric. The local history is however more directly connected to the presence of the bishops than to its feudal lords. The first bishop was St. Amato who was born here, died in 1094 and is the patron of the town. In the Middle Ages it was an important fortress, and its lords in the course of the centuries were the de Tivilla, d'Aquino, de Gianvilla and Imperiale families.