Morra de Sanctis, Province of Avellino, Campania
Known as Morra Irpina, in 1937 the center was renamed Morra de Sanctis in honor of author and literary critic Francesco De Sanctis. In the vicinity there are two artificial lakes and a few streams that make the landscape really breathtaking.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 863 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1200 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Demonym: morresi
- Patron Saint: St. Rocco celebrated on 16 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Caputi, Cervino, Chiancheroni, Orcomone, Selvapiana, Madonna di Montecastello.
Morra was probably inhabited between the 8th and 6th century B.C, as shown by many ruins and ancient tombs with funeral items. In the area of Selvapiana an ancient village of the Samnite Irpinians was discovered. In Lombard times the center was under the Gastald of Conza and was at first called Morra Irpino; then it was a fiefdom of prince Morra, whose family governed from the 12th century to 1806, the year when te feudal system was abolished. The Morra family also built a castle, called "Palazzo del Principe" which can still be admired. An earthquake practically destroyed the medieval centre in recent times.
What to see
- The medieval castle, built by the Morra family.
- The church of Saints Pietro and Paolo.
- The church of San Rocco of the 18th century and damaged during the earthquake of 1980.
- The Historical centre of medieval origin, seriously damaged during the 1980 earthquake.
- The birth home of Francesco De Sanctis, a museum set up as part of the F. De Sanctis Literary Park (1999/2001), houses a small collection of memories and desanctisian memorabilia.
- The >Obelisco of 1852, dedicated to patron San Rocco.
- The Palaces "Molinari" and "Indelli".
- The Antiquarium, a civic museum preserving the funerary objects of the Samnite necropolis of Piano Cerasulo and the findings from the archaeological excavations conducted between 1979 and 1985 in Piano di Tivoli.