Monteverde, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 740 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 740 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83049
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, Santa Caterina d'Alessandria celebrated on 30 November
- Frazioni & Localities: Bosco Siricciardi, Pozzo Vetere.
Genealogy & Links
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria of Nazareth
- The church of Santa Maria del Carmine
- The medieval Aragonese Castle overlooking the center
- The river Ofanto and the artificial lake, near the place, a destination for visitors who enjoy walks and excursions.
- A few kms from Monteverde the artificial lake of San Pietro, created between the 1950s and 1960s by barring the Osento stream with a large earth dam. From the naturalistic point of view, the lake with its rich vegetation allows the presence of habitats suitable for many animal species, and has a particularly important role as a rest area on the migratory paths of birds. In spring, the rare black stork nests in its territory.
Where to stay
The name Cominium is Oscan, and the toponym appears also in "Valle di Comino" and "San Donato Val di Comino". The etymology of "Cominium" seems to refer to places where meetings (comitia) were held, and there was one for each Oscan tribe, since the toponym is documented for the Marrucini, Equicoli, Pentri and Hirpini.
In the 11th century AD Monteverde became a bishopric and had its own bishop until 1531, when the Monteverde diocese was united to the Canne diocese. It was a fiefdom of the Orsini, the Grimaldi of Monaco and the Sangermano.