Montemarano, Province of Avellino, Campania
The municipality is part of the mountain community of Terminio-Cervialto, and is included in the Irpinia seismic district. The economy depends on agriculture, with vineyards that producing excellent wine grapes. The most important event is the Montemarano Carnival with its well-known tarantella montemaranese, an ancient tradition of the place.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 820 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 2800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Patron Saint: St. Giovanni da Montemarano celebrated on 21 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Canali, Cancelli, Casa Arsa, Cortecorbo, Maccaronere, Macchia del Monte, Ponteromito, Torre.
Where to stay
What to see
- The Museo etnomusicale
- The Museo dei parati sacri, a collection of Italian fabrics (mostly of southern origin) made between the 16th and 29th centuries to be used in religious events.
The existence of the settlement is documented since the 11th century. During the Norman period the center was attacked by Ruggiero and completely destroyed, to become later a fiefdom of Raona of Fragneto. Other important feudal lords were the Caracciolo, the Della Leonessa and the Della Marra.