Montefusco, Province of Avellino, Campania
The municipality is part of the mountain community Partenio - Vallo di Lauro, and is renowned for to the recognition of its Greco di Tufo wine as a DOCG brand, and for having been for centuries the capital of the old Province of Principato Ultra.
In the church of San Giovanni del Vaglio there is a precious relic, the "Sacra Spina", which tradition wants to be one of the thorns of the crown placed on the head of Jesus on the cross, and where, as in other relics of the kind, miracles have been reported, at some occasions during the centuries, about the appearance of blood-red stains.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 705 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1300 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Demonym: montefuscani (fuscolomontani)
- Patron Saint: the Sacra Spina
- Frazioni & Localities: Marotta, Piano delle Mele, Sant'Antonio Abate, Sant'Egidio, Serra.