Melito Irpino, Province of Avellino, Campania
Melito is located on the right side of the river Ufita, a tributary of the Calore Irpino. The old part of the town, now abandoned, has only the ruins of a castle built by the Normans and restored in Aragonese times.
The modern settlement, where the population moved after the 1962 earthquake, rises in a beautiful pinewood on a hill overlooking the Ufita valley, around the commercial area.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 242 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1900 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- How to reach it: from the highway Napoli-Bari towards Grottaminarda as far as Melito or with A1 go past Rome, towards Caianello, continue to Benevento and from here take A14 towards Grottaminarda.
- Patron Saint: St. Egidio, celebrated on 1st September
- Frazioni & Localities: Cozza, Difesa Grande, Fontana del Bosco, Incoronata, Orticello.
What to see
- Ruins of the Medieval castle, with a cylindrical tower and stone walls.
- The church of the Incoronata, with one nave and the tower bell on three levels.
Where to stay
The origins of Melito Irpino, according to remains found in the late 1880s, might correspond to the ancient Cluvium, or to a suburb of Aeclanum, or an ancient center called Melae or Melas, which according to historian Livy (Book XXIV, Cap X) was destroyed by the troops of Claudius Marcellus during the Second Punic War in 215 BC, following the defeat of the 3000 soldiers that Hannibal had left to guard the place.
In medieval times it was fiefdom of the counts of Ariano and later passed under the Gesualdo, Marra, Aquino, Caracciolo and Pagano families.