Lacedonia, Province of Avellino, Campania
Lacedonia overlooks the Osento torrent, which forms here the Lake of Saint Peter, an artificial lake that has increased the value of the whole area.
In 1930 a violent earthquake destroyed the whole town; the population lived, temporarily, in earthquake-proof houses and only in the year 2001 they moved to more modern houses built after the earthquake of 23rd November 1980, which made thousands of victims in Irpinia.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 732 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountain
- Population: about 2200 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83046
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola di Bari celebrated on 6 December, San Filippo Neri celebrated on 26 May.
Where to stay
Lacedonia was first called Akudunniad by the Osci and then Erdonea. After many destructions, it was rebuilt by the Romans, with the name of Aquilonia, and was part of the Tribe of Galeria. It was later called Al Cidonia and then Cedogna till 1800. Finally it became Lacedonia.
In 517 AD it was given to the Benedictine monks by the Emperor Iustinianus. It was under the Lombards, the Counts of Conza and the Normans, then became a fiefdom of the Balvano, Orsini, Pappacoda and Doria families.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta, the cathedral of Lacedonia and co-cathedral of the diocese of Ariano Irpino-Lacedonia. The façade is gabled, with a central portal in stone and flanked by a travertine bell tower, built in 1751. The interior, with three naves, preserves works from the 17th and 18th centuries, a wooden altar of the 16th century on which is a fine triptych possibly the work of Andrea Sabatini from Salerno, or Antoniazzo Romano or a student of his school. In its central part, the triptych has a blessing Madonna holding a swallow in her left hand, while on its sides there are the figures of saints Peter, John the Baptist, Michael and Nicholas.
- A number of churches, such as S.S. Trinità and S. Nicola, Santa Maria della Cancellata built in the early centuries A.D. over an ancient pagan temple consecrated to Hera and the twins Castor and Pollux and later on to the Egyptian deity Isis.
- The Museo Diocesiano, with a section devoted to S.Gerardo Majella
- The Castle of Pappacota: in 1496 Federico D'Aragona, King of Naples, gave the fief of Lacedonia to his knight Ferdinando Pappacota, who erected outside the town his castle with three towers, that was called Nuovo to distinguish it from the older Orsini castle. It was originally a real fortress, equipped with battlements, cannons, walkways, loopholes, pits and underground passages. In the centuries, it was damaged several times by earthquakes and consequently underwent restoration work, that left. of the original fortress, only the battlements of the tower on the south side, many loopholes and the ancient well.