Frigento, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 911 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 3600 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Phone Area Code: 0825
- Patron Saint: St. Marciano celebrated on 14 June
- Frazioni & Localities: Cellara, Pagliara, Corno, Fontana Levara, Mattine, Piano della Croce, San Cosimo, San Silvestro, Tre Masserie.
Where to stay
What to see
- The Parish Church, built in the 4th century AD on the ruins of a pagan temple in the Romanesque style.
- The Church of Purgatorio and St. Marciano, at the entrance of the town, dedicated to the patron saint.
- Archeological excavations in Pila di Piani, that revealed remains of a Roman villa.
In the Middle Ages the town was included in the Lombard Dukedom of Benevento. Later on, was destroyed by the Saracens in 926, rebuilt and destroyed again 60 years later by a terrible earthquake and again rebuilt in the same place. Frigento probably had a castle, however there are no documents about it, though there is an area called "Castelluccio".
The town belonged to the Gesualdo, to the Filangeri and to the Caracciolo families. In spite of damages from the many earthquakes, the last of them as recently as 1980, the town is back to its ancient beauty.