Forino, Province of Avellino, Campania
About 11 km from Avellino, on the border between Irpinia and the province of Salerno, Forino rises surrounded by woods and seven hills (Faliesi, Esca, Boschitello, Piana, Romola, San Nicola, Poggio Tirone - all under 1000 meters in height). The green landscape of coppiced woodland and hazel shrubs is why the area is called "Green Irpinia".
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 395 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 5300 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola di Bari celebrated on 6 December
- Frazioni & Localities: Castello, Casal di Creta, Celzi, Petrosa, Petruro, Rapone.
Where to stay
What to see
- The fortified Sanctuary of St. Nicola da Bari, in Casale di Castello, on the hill of San Nicola
- The Castle of Parise, a fine mansion with four cylindrical towers and an arched portal
- The church of Santo Stefano, in the center of the square.
The origin of the town was in the Middle Ages, when it was a Lombard hamlet. In the 12th century it was a fiefdom of William of Montfort, confiscated then by Charles Anjou because of the murder of Henry, son of the king of England.