Fontanarosa, Province of Avellino, Campania
On the slopes of Mount Capo di Gaudio, in the Calore valley, this is one of the most charming places in Irpinia. Its name comes from a fountain placed in a large rose garden. In spite of the earthquakes, it was not seriously damaged; typical of the historical center is the famous local stone, forged and decorated.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 480 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 3000 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Demonym: fontanarosani
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola celebrated on 6 December
Where to stay
- 14 August: Feast of the "Carro", a 28-meter-high straw obelisk, carried by two pairs of oxen in honor of Our Lady of Mercy, whose statue, entirely made of straw and wood, is on top of the obelisk.
What to see
- The church of St. Maria della Misericordia
- The church of San Nicola - Inside a precious painting of the Last Supper of the 17th century
- The historic center, with beautiful spots like the Borgo della Dogana, Borgo del Pozzo, "Castello Vecchio", while in some lanes - Bastione, Bianche, Murillo, Avvisati and Murorotto - old stone portals carved between the 17th and 18th centuries by local craftsman can be admired.