Chianche, Province of Avellino, Campania
The town rises on the border between the Avellino and Benevento provinces, on top of a green hill. It is surrounded by woods of chestnut trees, while the fertile countryside produces a renowned olive oil and the famous DOC wine "Greco di Tufo".
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 356 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 480 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Patron Saint: St. Felice of Nola, celebrated on 14 January
- Frazioni & Localities: Chianche Scalo, Chianchetelle, San Pietro Irpino.
Where to stay
Cianche in 300 AD already existed with the name of Placa. It was under many different feudal families, among them the Caracciolo and Carafa.
What to see
- The Norman Castle
- The church of San Felice
- The church of Santa Margherita
- The Chapel of Madonna della Pietà, at Chianchetelle.