Cesinali, Province of Avellino, Campania
Cesinali is located between the Terminio and the Partenio Mountains, a few kilometers from Avellino, on a hilly territory in the Valley of the Sabato river, that separates the main borough from the hamlet of Villa San Nicola. Walnuts are among the main products of the area.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 380 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 2500 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Avellino, then take the SP 64
- Patron Saint: St. Silvestro, San Rocco
- Frazioni & Localities: Arcella, Villa San Nicola.
Where to stay
The toponym Cesinali derives from the Campanian word "cesinale", from "cesine" (caedo in Latin means to cut down), which underlies the idea that the territory was deforested to be cultivated and establish a new settlement. During the feudal age it was part of the fiefdom of Atripalda.