Cervinara, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 9400 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83012
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0824
- Patron Saint: St. Gennaro
- Frazioni & Localities: Castello, Curielli, Ferrari, Ioffredo, Pantanari, Pirozza, Salomoni, San Marciano, San Potito, Scalamoni, Trescine, Valle.
What to see
- The Abbey of San Gennaro, located in Ferrari, is the oldest church in town; it is mentioned in a document of 1047, but was probably built around 800 AD.
- The Palazzo Caracciolo
- The Castle, located on the slopes of the Pizzone Mountain, from which it dominates all the town.
- Villa Comunale
- Piazza Trescine, the administrative heart of the town.
Where to stay
The first castle was built by the Lombards against the Saracens invasions, then the fortress was modified first by the Normans and Swabians and later by the Anjou.
The fiefdom of Cervinara belonged to Isabella of Chauville, to the Carafa family, the D'Avalos, then to the Spanish magistrate Berardino de Barrionuevo, who was the first Marquis of Cervinara. Finally from 1607 until 1806 the territory was under the Caracciolo family. The town was very active in the Risorgimento riots of 1821.