Castel Baronia, Province of Avellino, Campania
Castel Baronia rises on the top of a hill in the Ufita Valley.
The name derives from the word Castello, (in Latin castellum) for the presence of a fortress that since Norman times (11th century AD) controlled the whole area. The word Baronia refers to the Barony of Vico to which the town belonged. Many feudal lords ruled the town, among them the Del Balzo and the Caracciolo, who kept the power up to 1806.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 639 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Patron Saint: St. Maria delle Fratte, celebrated on February 2
- Frazioni & Localities: Russo.
What to see
- The church of Santo Spirito, a Baroque church with a Franciscan convent built during the 17th century. Inside fine wood sculptures and an interesting painting by renowned artist Lanfranchi.
- The church of P. S. Mancini, of the 18th century
- The medieval castle, whose ruins can be visited in the highest part of the borough.