Carife, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 740 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1300 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Demonym: carifani
- Patron Saint: St. Giovanni Battista celebrated on 24 June
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Vallata, then 12 km
- Frazioni & Localities: Ariacchino, Ciaruolo, Fiumara, Piano Lagnetta, San Martino, Santo Leo, Serra di Fusco.
In 849 it was included by the Lombards in the Duchy of Benevento. In the 11th century Gradilone, nephew of Robert Guiscard, was its Lord. In 1269 Charles of Anjou granted it to the Del Balzo family. In 1507 it became a fiefdom of Consalvo de Cordova, then belonged to the Como, Galeota, Brayda, Miroballo and in 1646, to the Capobianco family from Benevento. Laura Ciaccio Cosentina, the Capobianco widow, bought the marquisdom of Carife, and her descendants owned it until 1810.
What to see
- The Palazzo Marchesale, built after the earthquake of 1732, with an interesting portal and coat of arms. It was the residence of Marquis Capobianco.
- The church of Purgatory, an ancient church, seriously damaged by the 1980 earthquake.
- The Convent of Saint Francis, built in 1749 in Fossi, today only the church can be visited
- The parish church of San Giovanni Battista, built after the 1732 earthquake. The neoclassic façade in the Romanesque style is decorated by a baroque portal. Inside there are the relics of the Holy Wood Cross, a gift of the King of Spain to the Capobianco family and the polyptic of Madonna del Rosario by Andrea Sabatini.
Where to stay
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.